Voting

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Aprons







a·pron (prn)
n.
1.
a. A garment, usually fastened in the back, worn over all or part of the front of the body to protect clothing.
b. Something, such as a protective shield for a machine, that resembles this garment in appearance or function.

I don't think I can remember a Christmas, Thanksgiving, or any other formal dinner that my mother didn't have on an apron. She seemed to have a different one on, everytime dinner rolled around. Christmas time was no exception, except she had a one for every day of the week.


One of my favorite Christmas memories was around 25 years ago. The women in our family decided to make hand-made gifts. Each woman had to make 7 of the same item to give to the others. The one I loved and still have is a personalized apron my sister-in-law, Carol made. She made one for each of us and put out names on each one.
Aprons have been around for centuries. They come in all colors and the styles are endless.

When I would cook with my "gram", she would always put an apron on me and the ties went around to the front of me. I would stand next to her and make "Pecan Tassies" and shortbread cookies. It's still a tradition to make her Tassies.
I love all the colors and intricate work that went to these aprons. Some were like a work of art.

My grandmother made several and I was so excited to get a couple of them when she passed. She was quite a seamstress and did beautiful handwork. I loved the small black one because it had smocking and cross stitch on it.

Aprons served more than one purpose. It protected one's clothing underneath, it served as a hand towel and more than once it was used to dry our tears. I miss the "era of the aprons." It was when families were still in tact and they all sat at the table and ate dinner together. There were such towns as "Mayberry." They were times of innocence, and people took the time to know their neighbors and had them over for a meal. When someone moved into the neighborhood, a pie or cake was delivered to their "unlocked" front door.

So here's to aprons- the pretty and the plain. And let the stains be a reminder of the love that was put into every meal and pastry.



No comments:

Post a Comment