Voting

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Quilts







quilt [kwɪlt]
n
1. a thick warm cover for a bed, consisting of a soft filling sewn between two layers of material, usually with crisscross seams
2. a bedspread or counterpane
3. anything quilted or resembling a quilt
vb (tr)
1. (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Knitting & Sewing) to stitch together (two pieces of fabric) with (a thick padding or lining) between them to quilt cotton and wool
2. (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Knitting & Sewing) to create (a garment, covering, etc.) in this way
3. (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Knitting & Sewing) to pad with material

When I think of quilts, I think of a warm fireplace, wrapped in the warmth of a handmade blanket. I think of all the hours that were spent-cutting, piecing, sewing and quilting the pieces together. Some made of feed sacks, some out of old clothing and some actually off of bolts of fabric if they were lucky.

My great grandmother loved to quilt. I heard stories of her in a horse drawn wagon, quilting for hours, in all kind of weather and all kind of light (or lack of.) It's hard to believe, that if they weren't made they would not have anything to cover up with. No Walmarts or Dillards to just go pick up an electric blanket. They were hand-sewn with whatever was on hand and batting was sometimes horsehair or feathers.

My mother inherited all the old pattern and pattern pieces of the quilts my great grandmother made. The patterns are worn and you can see where the pieces have been pinned over and over.


The patterns are made out of different papers. From sacks, old newspaper or old receipts.


About 10 years ago, I took quilt lessons. I instantly fell in love with going to a quilt store, seeing the hundreds of bolts of fabric to choose from.I started with a tote and finally worked up to a full size quilt for my son.


I certainly appreciate quilts alot more having made them. Alot of long, loving hours goes into each one.
I also love making baby quilts. When my second granddaughter was born, the theme of her nursery was butterflies and frogs. So it was so fun designing and making a small baby quilt for the crib.














I love the look of quilting so much, that no matter what craft I am doing, I seem to gravitate towards the "look of quilt." I think this is why I picked this paper to make this card for a friend. It appealed to me so much because of the soft colors and the look of quilting.



The next time you wrap yourself in a quilt, picture the loving hands that put so many hours into this piece of art. Don't just view it as a blanket, view it as loving arms wrapped around you as you drift off to sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment