Monday, March 31, 2014

Steampunk umbrella

Hello everyone.  I know it's been quite a long time since I've blogged.   I had to have more surgery on my shoulder.  I had rotator cuff repair 6 months ago and it started freezing up on me, so they had to go back in and "crack" the scar tissue away from my shoulder.  I am finally getting more range of motion.  On my 8th month of physical therapy, so this has slowed down my crafting a little.

My hair stylist and good friend asked me if I would make a "prop" for her son's upcoming community theatre group.  He is narrating and the theme was steampunk; father time.

For those who don't know what "steampunk" is, it's a type of pop art that mixes the Victorian era with gears and machinery.  This is totally out of my comfort zone, except for the Victorian part.

My blank canvas was a huge, bare umbrella.  The requirements were: had to look steampunk, look like clock, had to have moving hands and it had to still be able to fold up.

Because of the folding issue, I decided to take each panel separate and not connect it to the next.  So I came up with a design for each panel.

I started with cutting out gold roman numerals and glueing on the face of the umbrella, again being mindful of the folds and the metal folding panels.

I thought it needed some color, so I added this red, eyelash trim.

Because lace is my middle name, I used it on 2 panels.
The corset look came from the Victorian period; I added that look to a couple of panels.  One, I used buckles and ribbon and the other chain-like hooks and leather trim.
On one panel, I added an open zipper and had the appearance of metal gears and other metal objects spilling out of the zipper.
Veil netting is popular in steampunk, so I used black netting with red velvet ribbon on both sides.   I added feathers and a metal clock with a metal crown.

The next to the last section, I criss-crossed black and red ribbon and added a metal medallion and placed a clock piece in the center.  I then hung a key with a picture of a Victorian gentleman with a mustache.

And finally, the last panel I swagged 3 layers of silver chain.

To finish off the bottom, I added an elastic black lace trim.
I made the hands of the clock with heavy , black chipboard and covered with a metallic paper.
I put a large washer under the end of each hand for weight purposes and so it would rotate easier.

The final touch , I added a finial using an old fashion water knob. This also helps hold the hands from falling off.  I also added a leather looking gear under the hands on the very top of the umbrella.

This style was a real challenge for me, but was a lot of fun creating.  The young man promises to send me pictures of his full costume, holding his steampunk prop.

You never know where crafting will take you, but I loved the challenge and am looking forward to my next project.

I will  be posting real soon another album I'm working on with lots of flowers, lace and tea cups!  And of course it has pink in it.
Happy crafting, Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment