Voting

Monday, April 4, 2011

Gift








Gift


–noun
1.
something given voluntarily without payment in return, asto show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or makea gesture of assistance; present.
2.
the act of giving.
3.
something bestowed or acquired without any particulareffort by the recipient or without its being earned: Thoseextra points he got in the game were a total gift.
4.
a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent: thegift of saying the right thing at the right time.
–verb (used with object)
5.
to present with as a gift; bestow gifts upon; endow with.
6.
to present (someone) with a gift: just the thing to gift thenewlyweds.


I don't know anyone that doesn't like receiving a gift. I know I do, but as I grow older, I would much rather give, than receive. I've learned that a gift does not have to be "monetary." The best gift is when you give of yourself. It can be a gift of service: A meal for a friend who just had a baby or surgery, cleaning a house when they are physically incapable, sitting with someone at a nursing home or just sending a card when someone needs some encouragement.


I remember when CJ, my youngest son was little, he loved giving gifts. It would not be unusual to unwrap a "self-wrapped", used chapstick (lipstick to him) or 1 earring- (jewels as he called them). They were my favorite gifts, because of the intent of his heart and his giving spirit. Those were some of my favorite gifts. So it was not surprising when he became a police officer and now a sergeant with the CSI unit. He gives of himself everyday and puts his life on the line so others will be safe.

We are studying 2Corinthians:8, right now in our women's bible study. This chapter is all about giving. The Corinthians did not have anyone "needy" because everything was shared with everyone else. Everyone's needs were met. Oh what a better world this would be if we all had this kind of mind-set. It states that Jesus became poor, so we would become rich with His gift of eternal life.

The older I get, the more I want to give. Since my passion is crafting, this is a great way to show my love for people. I love making hand-made cards, flowers, and crafts for the women in my bible study.


They are not large in size, but it is a gift from my heart and a way say "you're important to me."


So, think about what your gifts are and how you can share them with others.

Please leave me a comment and tell me the best gift you have ever received.

1 comment: