Voting

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sisters











sis·ter (sistər)

noun

  1. a woman or girl as she is related to the other children of her parents: sometimes also used of animals
  2. a woman or girl related to one by having a parent in common; half sister
  3. a stepsister
  4. a foster sister
  5. a close female friend who is like a sister
  6. a female fellow member of the same race, church, profession, organization, etc.:sorority sister, soul sister
  7. a member of a female religious community, usually one with simple vows
  8. something associated with another of the same kind, model, etc.
  9. BRIT. a nurse, esp. a head nurse
  10. INFORMAL any woman: often used as a familiar term of address


I was 4 1/2 when my sister, Jana, was brought home from the hospital. I remember thinking she had the cutest nose I have ever seen! She was tiny and had the most beautiful blond hair.


Of course we fought like most siblings- a nightly fight would be who the last one was to get in bed, because they had to turn off the lights. There were no "clap ons" or remotes back then.

Sisters share secrets and things, that no one knows. It's what keeps us so bonded in our lives.

As we grew older, we became much closer. It killed me to leave her when I got married. Then she married and moved to Delaware. I was sad and mad. I was the one left here as "the only child" to handle every parental duty. But as I matured, I finally understood her decision.

Now I look forward to her visits twice a year. We cram more shopping and eating at her special places in a week than most people can do in a month. She still reads my mind and knows when I need something before I know it.

Even though she is over 1000 miles away, she still is my confidant, shoulder to cry on and fixer of my problems.

I am so proud of the woman she has become. She works for a "high powered attorney" and has a very stressful job.

She is mother and master to 2 beautiful chocolate labs, which are her life. Schooner and Cinnamon. They love their "mommy."

Aunt Jana has always been involved with my 2 sons, and now 4 grandaughters, her great nieces. She knows them, almost like she lives here, and I love that about her.

For her birthday, I wanted to pay tribute to her and who she loves, so I made a Lab "mini album" for her 2 sweeties. A picture album for her "kids"

I am so blessed to have her as a sister, and I know I don't tell her enough- Love you Jana, thank you for always being there for me.






Sisters don't need words.
They have perfected a language
of snarls and smiles and frowns and winks-
expressions of shocked surprise and incredulity and disbelief.
Sniffs and snorts and gasps and sighs-
that can undermine any tale you're telling.
-Pam Brown

1 comment: