Voting

Sunday, April 10, 2011

My grandmother's buttons






There is something intriguing to me when I see buttons. They make me think of what garment were they on in years past, who wore them and projects I can make with them.

When my grandmother passed, I rec'd her "button box." It was exciting pulling out all the draws and seeing the treasures each one held. Even the little bottles were delicate and filled with vintage goodies.


My mother framed some of the oldest, so they would be preserved and stay together. I don't even begin to know how old some of these are, but I would venture over 100 yrs old on some of them.

How many hours did my grandmother spend, sewing on buttons and removing them when the garment was no longer fit to be worn? Her sewing basket sitting by her side with her threads and buttons,brings a smile to my face.

I have started my own collection of buttons and hopefully they will passed down to my grandchildren. I hope they can say "I remember where that came from "or" this was in my Nindy's sewing room."

In the meantime, I will continue to look at them everyday, run my fingers through them and use some of them in my craft projects to come.

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Heavenly Goodness! This post is just full of yumminess!! You are so lucky! Thanks for sharing photos of this stuff. The colors alone are inspiring!

    Have a wonderful week!
    *huggles*
    =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty things! Love all the buttons and thread. :)
    Thanks for the follow on my blog. I'm glad you found my molds too! Hope you like them. :D
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So special and yummy!Love all these findings!

    ReplyDelete